The Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community was established for the Au-Autum (Pima) and Piipaash (Maricopa) people on June 14, 1879 by Executive Order of President Rutherford B. Hayes. While each tribe maintains its own language and culture, the two tribes have voluntarily lived together for centuries.
Not long ago the Community was considered rural, but today the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community is uniquely positioned in one of the most desirable geographic regions of the Southwest. It is served by major freeways, Interstate 10, Interstate 17, and the Red Mountain Freeway Loop 202 and the Pima Freeway Loop 101, both of which border the Community. Beeline Highway 87 crosses the Community from south to east. It is a recognized leader in Indian Country for its innovative approach to creating enterprises that support the Community.
The government consists of a Community Council comprised of the President, Vice-President and 7 Council members. Candidates run independently for the office of President and Vice President. Both the President and Vice President are elected to a four-year term.
The Community consists of 52,600 acres and maintains 19,000 acres as a natural preserve. Approximately 12,000 acres are under cultivation in a variety of crops including cotton, melons, potatoes, onions and carrots. The land reserved for commercial and industrial development includes the Pima Freeway (Loop 101) corridor and areas designated along Shea Boulevard, Hayden, McKellips, and McDowell roads, and State Route 87.
Water resources available to the Community for farming and economic development include ground water, Salt River flows, Salt River Project Canal water, and 13,000 acre feet of Central Arizona Project water.
Individual members of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community pay income taxes and other federal taxes. Because the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community is a sovereign government, it has taxing authority for transactions on the Community. Any questions can be directed to the Community’s Office of the Treasurer – Tax Department at 480-362-7678.